If you’re anything like me, you could use some simple, fresh, EASY lunch ideas! Bonus points if said lunch ideas are healthy too.
This recipe was inspired by my new-found love for lentils. Weird? Yes. Good for you? Yes. Delicious with the right toppings? Most definitely. I topped this bowl of lentils with sautéed spinach and garlic, a fried egg, avocado, feta cheese, cilantro, and a super simple lime dressing. It’s fresh and easy and you can make a large batch of lentils at the beginning of the week to make lunch time a breeze.
- 1 c cooked lentils, prepared according to the package instructions (I like to cook a large batch and use it throughout the week)
- Large handful of spinach
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1-2 Tbs olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Feta or queso fresco
- Salt and pepper
- Cook lentils according to the package instructions, set aside. This can be done the day before.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium in a large pan. Saute the spinach until almost wilted. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute, or until the spinach is fully wilted.
- To save on dishes use the same pan to cook the eggs. Add a little more olive oil, fry the egg to your preference.
- Assemble your lentil bowl. Top lentils with fried egg, spinach and garlic, avocado, cilantro, feta or queso fresco, dressing, and add salt and pepper if needed.